Discussion: Why Hike the Appalachian Trail?

I've always wanted to walk the entire trail just to see if I had the mental and physical discipline to spend that much time and go that much distance.  On top of that, of the sections of AT I have walked, it only makes me want to hike the rest of it to see what I am missing.

I grew up volunteering on trail and shelter maintainence on the eastern NY section of the AT and I'd love to see the trail from the viewpoint of a thru hiker.

What are your reasons?

HikingBootNews has their "75 Reasons to Hike the Appalachian Trail" if you need some ideas.



Comments

  1. I've had a drive to hike the trail since I was in the 5th grade, and it's still there at 30. For me, it's a combination of things:

    Th sheer length and time are a component, the joy of hiking over such a varied terrain on a "single trail"

    I think a big part of it, though, is the escape to something more natural and primal. To see if I am cut out for a world without modern society to some extent, and to hopefully take joy from that world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts